Tangy Prawn Salad With Carrot, Cucumber and Mint Leaves
A cheery salad with contrasting colors of orange, green, white, and pink, this is a low-calorie dish suitable for hot-weather eating. As part of a whole meal, this serves 6, but for a main dish, plan on serving only 2 to 3 people.
- 2 small carrots, thinly sliced to yield 2 cups.
- 3 baby cucumbers, thinly sliced.
- 1 spring onion, minced.
- 20 mint leaves.
- 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped coriander leaves (cilantro).
- 300 g (10 oz) fresh medium prawns, poached until just cooked, peeled and defined.
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted unsalted peanuts.
- 1 finger-length chili, deseeded and sliced.
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or 2 teaspoons cider vinegar.
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice.
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce.
- 2 tablespoons oil.
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced.
- 1 teaspoon sugar.
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
Serves 4 to 6
- Combine the carrot, cucumber, spring onion, mint leaves, coriander leaves (cilantro) and prawns in a mixing bowl, and set aside.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl until well combined, then pour the dressing over the vegetables and prawns, and toss to mix well.
- Transfer the salad to a serving platter and sprinkle the peanuts on top. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 3 mins
(Source: homestyle vietnamese cooking)