Fresh Vietnamese Salad Rolls (goi cuon)
These rolls are nothing more than a Vietnamese salad wrapped in rice paper wrappers. The aromatic herbs in the rolls lend a refreshing taste. If you are looking for a unique summer picnic dish, these rolls are perfect!
- 500 ml (2 cups) water.
- 1 spring onion.
- 250g (8 oz) lean pork.
- 300g (10 oz) fresh medium prawns.
- 12 dried rice paper wrap-pers, each 20 cm/8 in in daimeter.
- 1 mall head butter let-tuce, leaves washed and separated.
- 100g (4 oz) packet dried rice vermicelli, blanched for 1 to 2 minutes until soft, then rinsed with cold water and drained.
- 1 baby cucumber, quar-tered and thinly sliced.
- 1 small carrot, grated.
- 1 bunch coriander leaves (cilantro), sliced.
- 1 portion peanut dipping sauce.
- Prepare the peanut dipping sauce by following the recipe.
- Bring the water and spring onion to a boil over medium heat in a saucepan and poach the pork for 7 to 10 minutes until cooked. Remove and set aside to cool. Slice the pork in to thin strips.
- Bring the same pot of water to a boil again and poach the prawns for 1 to 2 minutes until pink or just cooked. Remove and plunge in to cold water to cool. Peel, devein and halve each prawn lengthwise. Set aside.
- To make a spring roll, briefly dip a rice paper wrap-per in a bowl of water until soft. Remove and place on a dry surface, smoothing it with your fingers. Place a lettuce leaf on to the wrapper, closer to one edge, and top with some pork strips, rice vermicelli, cucumber and carrot. Fold the closest of the wrapper over the filling, then fold in the sides and roll up halfway. Place 2 halves of a prawn, side by side, along the roll and top with coriander leaves (cilantro), then con-tine to roll up tightly to complete the folding. Repeat until all the ingredients are used up.
- Arrange the spring rolls on a serving platter and serve with serving bowls of peanut sauce on the side.
Makes 12 rolls
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins.
(Source: homestyle vietnamese cooking)