Green Papaya Salad
A refreshing and unusual salad made with shredded green papaya, it stands alone or takes such additions as cooked prawns or beef jerky to turn it in to a main dish.
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut in to wedges.
- 1 green papaya (500 g/1 lb), coarsely grated to yield 3 cups.
- 1 small carrot, coarsely grated to yield 3 cups.
- 1 small carrot, coarsely grated to yield 1 cup.
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves.
- Sprigs of mint leaves, to garnish.
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice.
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce.
- 1 talespoon sugar.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1 finger-length chili, deseeded and sliced.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, dry-roasted for about 10 minutes over low heat until browned.
- Combine the Dressing ingredients in a large bowl and mix until the sugar is dissolved, then add all the other ingredients (except sprigs of mint leaves) and toss well to combine.
- Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with the mint leaves and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 15 mins.
(Source: homestyle vietnamese cooking)