Delicious clam soup (canh ngheu)
Star fruit, also known as caram-bola, is increasingly available in specialty food shops. Thin slices of fresh, tart pineapple can also be used.
- 24 clams, washed and cleaned
- 6 cups (1 1/2 litres) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped baby leeks or scallions (spring onions)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste (optional)
- 2 medium star fruit, sliced
- 1/2 cup (20 g) cilantro (coriander) leaves
- 3 red chillies, seeded and finely sliced
- 1/2cup (20 g) ran ram (polygonum) leaves
- Rinse clams thoroughly. Bring stock to a boil, add clams and cook, stirring until the shells open. Remove the clam meat, discarding the shells, and set aside. In a separate pan, fry the baby leek and garlic in oil until soft, add clams and season with fish sauce and shrimp paste.
- Return stock to a boil. Add clam mixture and star fruit, and immediately turn off the heat. Garnish with cilantro, chilli and ran ram.
- Helpful Hints:
- This is an ideal recipe for mussels. If available, use the small, green-lipped variety. For many of the fish soups, chicken or pork stock is commonly used. If you prefer a clear vegetable or fish stock may also be used.
Order Food Online Now: 1900 9291
We have it :
The Boiling Fresh