Chicken Noodle Soup
Traditionally, this meal-in-a-bowl noodle soup is made with beef, but the Vietnamese have also perfected a lighter version using chicken. This soup is popular at any time of day or nightm and is often enjoyed for breakfast in Vietnam.
- 300g (10 oz) dried rice sticks noodles or rice vermicelli
- 200g (4 cups) beam sprouts, seed coaaaast and tails removed, blanched until cooked 1 onion, thinly sliced Ground white pepper
- 1 bunch cpriander leaves (cilantro), sliced
- 1 brunch basil or mint leaves
- 1 lime, cut into sections, to serve
- 2 finger-length chilies, desseeded and sliced, placed in a dipping bowl with soy sauce
- 2,5 liters (10cups) chicken stock (*) or 4 to 5 stock cubes dissoved in 2,5 liters (10 cups) water
- 1/2 fresh chicken (about 500g/ 1lb)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 spring onions, cut into lengths
- 1,5 cm (1in) fresh ginger root, peeled and bruised
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fish sause
Prepare the Broth first by bringing the chicken stock, chicken, cinnamon, spring onion, ginger, sugar and salt to a boil over high heat in a stockpot. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 mintues, skimming off the foam and fat that float to the surface. Stir in the fish sauce and remove from the heat. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool. Strain the solids from the Broth using a fine sieve and keep the clear Broth warm over very low heat.
Bring a pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Add the dried noodles and blanch until soft, about 5 minutes for rice stick noodles or 2 minutues for rice vermicelli. Remove and rinse with cold water, then drain.
When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat along the grain into thin strips.
Place the noodles in individual serving bowls and onion slices. Pour the Broth into each bowl, sprinkle with pepper and garnish with coriander (cilantro) and basil leaves. Serve hot with lime and bowls of chili and soy sauce on the side.
Serve 4 to 6
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 time
* Chicken stock:
- 3 liters (12 cups) water
- 1 fresh chicken (about 1,5 kg/3 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 150g (1 cup) sliced onion
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
Bring all the ingredients to a boil in a stockpot. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, skimming off the foam and fat that float to the surface, until the stock is reduced to half. Remove from the heat, strain the stock and set aside to cool.
Yields 1,5 liters (6 cups)
Preperation time: 10mins
Cooking time: 2 hours
(Source: homestyle vietnamese cooking)