Grilled Leaf-wrapped Beef Rolls (bo la lot)
- 500 g (1 lb) ground beef.
- 24 large wild betel leaves (see note) or grape leaves, soaked in water to soften and drained.
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour before using.
- 1 tablespoon oil.
- 1 portion fish sauce dip.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced.
- 2 tablespoon minced lemongrass (from the inner part of the thick end of the stalk).
- 2 shallots, minced.
- 1 teaspoon curry powder.
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce.
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- 2 teaspoons sugar.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
Makes 8 skewers
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Pour the marinade over the ground beef and mix until well blended. Cover with a cloth and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- To make a beef roll, place 1 tablespoon of the beef mixture on to a betel or grape leaf. Fold one end of the leaf over the filling, fold in the sides and roll up tightly, then thread the roll on to a bamboo skewer. Continue to make all the rolls in this manner, threading 3 rolls on to each bamboo skewer as shown.
- Brush the rolls with a little oil and grill the skewvers on a pan grill or under a preheated broiler using medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side, until the leaves are slightly charred.
- Serve the beef rolls with fish sauce dip.
Preparation time: 30 mins+2 hour to marinate
Cooking time: 10 mins.
(Source: homestyle vietnamese cooking)