Barbecued Lemongrass Beef Salad
This one-dish salad has the advantage of being both delectable and easy to make. You can prepare and assenble everything ahead of time, making this a perfect company meal. Pratially freezing the beef firms it and make for easier slicing. If you wish, you can substiute chicken breast for the beef.
- 500g (1 lb) beef sirloin, flank steak or top round, sliced into thin strips.
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour before using 1 tablespoon oil, for brushing.
- 200g (7 oz) dried rice vermicelli, blanched for 1 to 2 minutes until soft, then rinsed with cold water and drained ½ head lettuce, leaves washed and separated.
- 1 medium cucumber, dedeeded and cut into matchsticks.
- 100g (2 cups) beam sprouts, seed coast and tails removed Sprigs of mint leaves Sprigs of coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1 small carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 50g (1/2 cup) chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1 portion Fish Sauce Dip (*)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks lemongrass, thick bottom part only, outer layers discarded, inner part sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 taspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
Make the Marinade first by grinding the onion, garlic and lemongrass to a smooth paste in a blender. Add all the oder ingredients and mix until well blender. Tranfer the Marinade to a large bowl, place the beef in the Marinade and mix until well coated. Allow to matinate for 1 hour.
Prepare the Fish Sauce Dip.
Thread the marinated beef strips onto the bamboo skewers and brush with a little oil, then grill on a pan grill or under a preheated broiler, basting with the Marinade, until just cooked, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
To serve, palce the rice vermicelli into individual serving bowls and top with the grilled beef, lettuce leaves, cucumber, bean spouts, mint leaves, coriander leaves (cilantro) and carrot. Sprinkle with peanuts and serve immediately with a bowl of Fish Sauce Dip on the side.
Dress and toss this dish well with 2 tablespoons of Fish Sauce Dip before eating it.
Preparation time: 45 mins + 1 hour to marinate
Cooking time: 15 mins
* Fish Sauce Dip (Nuoc Cham)
- 2 to 3 finger-length chilies deseeded and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 50g (1/4 cup) water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Grind the chilies and garlic to a coarse paste in a mortar or blender, then combine with all the other ingredients and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
Yields 250ml (1 cup)
Preparation time: 10 mins.
(Source: homestyle vietnamese cooking)